• question-icon

Suggest non-addictive medication for sleep

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: non narcotic prescription sleep aid that doesn't interfer with REM or XXXXXXX sleep?
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Eszopiclone

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern. Of course, the best way to have quality sleep is the natural way. Lay off caffeine, do not eat for two hours before bedtime, stay away from electronic devices, set a bedtime routine, set your bedroom environment in such as fashion that it induces calm and sleep. And most important, be patient and persisent until you settle into a routine.

All having been said and done, Eszopiclone is the drug that affects REM and slow sleep waves the least, compared to other sleeping pills. It is however dose-dependent and if you choose to use it, you should try and find the dose that works for you by starting off with a low dose and then go from there.

I hope this helps. If you have further questions I would be happy to answer them.

Wishing you good health and all the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Ornela Ademovi