• question-icon

Suggest natural remedies to relieve esophageal stricture

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Following gastroesohpageal surgery for cancer last December, the site of my surgery keeps closing up, preventing me from eating and eventually leading to complete closure of the esophagus. This is being treated with balloon dilitation which does offer some relief for a few days following the procedure, but ultimately leads to closure once again. Placement of a stent at the site (left in place for two months), once removed, did help for a limited amount of time, but has gone back to the esophageal closure. I would like to know if there is some type of natural remedy to relax the stricture. My surgeon is intending to continue with the balloon dilitations in the hope that the repeated stretching will eventually lead to the relaxation of the tissues. Is there a way I can facilitate this result?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
I am sorry but only surgical corrections are possible now.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.
I am a Gastroenterologist and would be answering your query.
Have seen your detalis and i appreciate your concerns.

As per your query answers are-

I am sorry but at the level of problem you are having the standard medical treatment to relieve esophageal stricture is dilatation with specific balloon which stretches and widens the esophagus at the point of its narrowing.

I don't think natural therapy or medical therapy would be much helpful.However i would suggest you some pliative measure like mind relaxation by yoga.

As such there is no herbal or medical remedy for it.You are already undergoing the best possible treatment we have.

I am sorry but dont worry repeated ballon dilatations would definitely help you.

Feel free to follow up.
Hope you get well soon.
Thanks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist