• question-icon

Suggest natural remedies for back pain while having osteoarthritis

Posted on Tue, 18 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: I have a medical history of kidney cancer. Also had hysterectomy due to pre cancer cells. I had surgery due to spinal stenosis. Spinal surgery was successful. I also have OA and PsA. I was taking Otezla - but had to stop due to extreme nausea and mental fog. About a year after surgery I started to develop nerve pain. Follow up MRI, did not show any structural concerns. Dr said, pain I have is real. Is nerve centered and suggest I see a neurologist. I have 50 mg tramadol prescribed for ever 12 hours as needed, but try not to take it, due to the overwhelming social awareness of medication misuse. I wait too long to manage the pain - and mentally turn into a crazy woman. My question, is there a more natural way to approach this situation without depending on pharmaceuticals?
Answered by Dr. Senthilnathan Subramanian 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need some detail to guide properly

Detailed Answer:
hi
Thanks for consulting us I gone through your history .

in natural way of medicine we have pain management system in Ayurveda here we do we do Panchakarma procedure-external oil therapy to manage pain as well as musculoskeletal disorders.

we use to give internal medicine too and some sort of exercise to reduce the pain.
I need certain questions to be answer from your end to guide you properly

what is your BMI (body mass index) height and weight ?
what is your occupation? and lifestyle
whether you are on any treatment for Kidney cancer or it is treated ?
what is your diet pattern? explain food stuffs you routinely use in day?
where is your pain? describe the pain when it is occurring when it is off from where the pain is radiating?

kindly get up for any clarification.
regards
Dr.S.Senthilnathan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Senthilnathan Subramanian 2 days later
Answers to the questions:
BMI 38.8
Office manager - I sit most of the day - I get up out of my chair hourly to walk / Active swim 3 x per week, outdoor activities with family.
Removed right kidney. No lymphatic involvement. Cancer free 4 years.
Diet: changing recently, more protein and vegetables. Going less with carbohydrates. Unfortunately I like sweets. I do not cook using boxed foods, I use fresh or frozen vegetables. Meats from butcher. I like smoothies in the morning with granola: frozen fruit, Greek yogurt, spinach either 100 % tart cherry or pomegranate juice - or use a vitamin water.
Severe pain, thoracic spine to lumbar area. Migrates across hips to legs to feet. I have PsArthritis, therefore some of the pain is arthritic.
Night time - extremely uncomfortable, effects sleep. Mid afternoon can not function cognitively, medicate with either 500 mg tylenol, or Aleve to tramadol. Depending on the severity. Use lidocaine 4% patch on spine when doing outside activities. Core strength very poor. Back pain limits movement.
Answered by Dr. Senthilnathan Subramanian 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Let me guide you properly

Detailed Answer:
Hai,
Thanks for your reply.

As your BMI indicates you are obese.

Your pain and arthritic problem may be because of post menopausal syndrome and also secondary to o obesity.

As at the age of 60 calcium deficiency and degeneration in the bone is common.Obesity will even worsen your arthritic problems. back pain also because of degenerative reasons.

current diet system is well appreciated. But frozen vegetables as well as meat should be avoided. Fresh fruit and vegetable is ideal to take.

As millet group of dietary intake will help you in reducing your weight.

you need to take help from dietician to regularize your calorie intake and kindly follow it to reduce your weight.

In Ayurveda external panchakarama therapy (oil therapy),restricted diet intake,internal medication,exercise,yoga will be together suggested for your complaints.

As in XXXXXXX ,we practice the above protocol . we treat them inhouse for 21 days and further evaluation done depends on the prognosis of the symptoms.

panchakarma and herbal medication like rasna,vajravalli,will help in stabilises your spinal cord muscle and bones.

ayurvedic medicine like Shilajith,Gugulu,shallaki,aswaganda,asthisamharaka will be very much helpful in grade I and grade II arthritis. It is available in Himalaya Ayurveda company. But only taking internal medication will not help you much.

I suggest you to practice yoga with help of a trainer to get rid of your problem.

Holistic approach will be the right option to encounter your problem.

You need to find an ayurvedic physician as well as therapist in your locality to execute this treatment.
Hope I answered your query. Kindly get back to me for any clarification.

Dr.S.Senthilnathan

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Senthilnathan Subramanian

Ayurveda Specialist