Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
142 Doctors are Online

Suggest natural medicine for thyroid rather than hormone and medicine to reduce cholesterol than statin?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 14858 Questions
Is there any natural medicine one can take for the thyroid, rather than the hormone? also... is there anything I can take to reduce my cholesterol rather than a statin... LIPITOR is what I have been taking and I feel it has caused me NEUROPATHY!

Posted Sun, 22 Sep 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
unfortunately no good substitute for thyroid horm

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

At present thyroid replacement medication is mainly used to restore thyroid levels.

There is a suggestion that selenium may help to restore levels. It is thought to be important in thyroid function. This is the only supplement at present that may help you but it would still need to be taken with the hormone because it would not be able to restore adequate levels on its own.

In terms of the cholesterol, it can be reduced by dietary changes and activity, though in some persons because of family history it may remain elevated.

In terms of your diet, if you can reduce your use of fried or fatty foods. Use lean cuts of meat, low fat diary products, olive oil, canola oil or peanut oils.

Use whole grains such as whole grain breads/rice/pasta

Eat alot of fruits and vegetables, they should make up at least half of your plate.

Use foods that contain alot of omega 3 such as tuna, herring, sardines, makerel and salmon.

There are also other medications other than statins that can be used for high cholesterol if your lifestyle changes do not have a significant impact on your cholesterol level.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any additional questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
,   ,  
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Endocrinologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor