Suggest methods to stop occurrence of hypoglycemia

Question
Last weekend while paying golf, I had to quit for a while because I was feeling extremely fatiqued. It was very humid and hot. I was sweating profusely so I knew I wasn't having a heat stroke. Although I was drinking water constantly I could barely function. All I wanted to do was lie down in a cool place. I have type 2 diabetes. I have never experienced that feeling of wanting to just lie down. Is there a relation to heat exhaustion and Diabetes Type 2. I ate a little Reese's cup, felt better and then went back out and finished another 9 holes after about 30 minutes. How can I avoid this in the future.
Posted Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Monitor blood sugar&take snacks with you...

Detailed Answer:

Feeling extremely fatigued in middle of playing golf makes me think of a probable hypoglycemia episode. Great you took Reese's cup as it has increased your blood sugar levels, that's why you felt better.

Usually, the physical activity is associated with drops in blood glucose.

To prevent such episodes in future, I recommend to;
- measure your blood sugar (bs) before starting the exercise. If it is low, take a snack prior to activity. Check bs immediately once you feel fatigued; so, you will know you are having a hypoglycemic episode and can have a snack

- time of exercise is important: avoid late evening activities

- if your bs after exercise is lower than 100 mg/dL, decrease the dosage of bedtime medication (if you take any) and take a snack to optimize blood sugar

As you may see, it is important to keep a bs monitor and snacks with you each time you plan for a physical activity. I always recommend to my diabetic patients to take both of them as might need everywhere you go.

Hope it answered to your queries! Let me know if anything unclear!
Dr.Albana