question-icon

Suggest methods to diagnose lupus

Posted on Wed, 16 Jul 2014
Question: I was curious how one makes a diagnoses for lupus. I have had my ana tested twice in march and april and both times they were negative. I do have joint pain that comes and goes and bubbly urine. I also have SVT heart issue. I was told by my neurologist that I have a little bit of neuropathy from drinking alcohol. I stopped drinking in January.
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani (4 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

Thank you for posting your query on HCM.

Well looking itno your problem I would like to tell you that various antibodies are there which can be usedto diagnose lupus . Although ANA is very likely to be positive in this condition but sometimes it becomes positive later during the course of disease.

Anti ds DNA antibody , Anti Sm antibody , complement levels and antibodies for APS like lupus anticoagulant assay , anticardiolipin antibody , anti beta 2 gp1 antibosy also if positive can predict the disease . Rest clinial features are very important but some times they are so non specific that doctors can miss them where the role of autoantibody testing comes . Just mild joint pains and neuropathy would not lead to diagnosis of lupus in scene of ANA negativity plus you being a male as it is highly prevalent in females rather than males .

Dr. Shruti
Follow up: Dr. Shruti Rijhwani (17 hours later)
Thank you for your answer. I did have a question that isn't tied to this question completely. If you had a tick bite years ago can lyme disease still show up years later?
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani (10 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir

Thank you for reverting back.

Well this is not a general scenario , patient will have symptoms after the tick bite itself and not years later but the joint pains and serology testing can be positive years later also.

Dr. Shruti

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Shruti Rijhwani

Rheumatologist