Suggest medicines taken for malaria while travelling

Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist

Posted on Tue, 17 Mar 2015 in Infections
Question: I am taking Clopidogrel but am travelling to Vietnam - what type of malaria tablets would you recommend?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
recommendations different for different parts

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

The drug prophylaxis differes in different parts of Vietnam as the drug sensitivity pattern also differs, please tell me which part of Vietnam you are travelling to do that I can help you.

Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 8 minutes later
We start in Hanoi then travel to Ha Long Bay. After this we fly to Cambodia to Siem Reap. We are then cruising the Mekong incuding stops at Phnom Penh, Kampong Tralach, XXXXXXX Chau finishing in Ho Chi Minh City.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for getting back

It looks like you will be travelling through the entire vietnam. I recommend you to be on Atovaquanone- proguanil plus doxycycline prophylaxis.
It comes as Malarone, it has to be taken daily, started two days before travel and has to be continued one week after returning. The same goes with doxy as well however some physicians give for 2 to 4 weeks after returning.

I hope I was of help, sorry for the short delay in my reply

Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 3 hours later
Thanks for your response. Is it safe to take Malarone when also taking Clopidogrel anti-coagulent tablets?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
reduces the effectiveness of praguanil

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for getting back

Clopidogrel is shown to reduce the effectiveness of praguanil, however it shouldn't be of much concern as you will on it daily
In my personal opinion it is best to apply chemical skin barriers and physical barriers like mosquito net while sleeping along with these medications