Suggest medicines for tonsillitis

Dr. Deepashree

ENT Specialist

Posted on Fri, 11 Apr 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Dear Sir, Could you please assist with the medicine for tonsillitis as i am suffering from tonsillitis but there is no swelling on neck but getting difficulties while swallowing on left side but there is no redness. I have taken bactoclav-625 last night and today morning. Is that sufficient or am i suppose to change to some other medicine for relief. Please advice with the medicine as i am also taking medicine for HYPO-THYROID and having no allergy to any medicine. Please provide details urgently with the cause of frequent infection in my case its 2-3 times in year. Thanks & Regards, XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Deepashree 1 hour later
Brief Answer: continue your medicines with other drugs. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX you say your suffering from chronic tonsillitis. In chronic tonsillitis there will chronic infection of the tonsils with enlargement of neck nodes. Don't worry even there is no external swelling. Your treatment with bactoclav 625 mg is correct. Take it for 5 dys. Along with it take some anti inflammatory and pain killers medicines. Do beta dine gargle 3 times a day. Avoid cold and oily food for 7 days.drink lots of liquids. Your antibiotics of choice is correct, don't change. continue hypo thyroid medicine also. Throat infection occurs because intake of cold and oily food, change of water or environment. It can get affected from other patient also through air.continue same treatment, you will be find by 2 days, if not consult doctor, take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Deepashree 13 minutes later
Thanks for the reply, could you please let me know whether taking Bactoclav-625 without consulting any doctor as i had started yesterday own of my own so going forward the line of treatment must continue the same morning and evening for 5 days. Also would like to know in case it happens again after few months then what should be the line of treatment. Are there any side effects or the same, is antibiotics response goes slimmer while taking it continuously over the period of time? Also advice anti inflammatory and pain killers medicines along with bactoclav-625. Are moxiclav 625/bactoclav 625/Azithral 500 same or once can take in different issues?
Answered by Dr. Deepashree 43 minutes later
Brief Answer: continue your treatment , take preventive measures Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX its always better to consult doctor and take medicine. Since you have already started it, amoxicillin is the drug of choice for any throat infection. So continue it , twice a day for 5 days. Side effect is you may have gastritis and loose stools. Hence take it along with food. Any antibiotics taken very frequently is not good it reduces the immunity and also causes bacterial resistance for that antibiotics. So next time you get a throat infection, consult doctor and take medicines. There are chances that you may get another infection down the XXXXXXX So please take preventive measures like avoid eating cold and oily foods, avoid drinking contaminated water, curds and citrus fruits juices. When ever you get infection treatment is same with antibiotics either tablet or injection. If your throat infection occurs very frequently like once a month then you can get your tonsil operated and removed.
Follow up: Dr. Deepashree 8 minutes later
Also advice anti inflammatory and pain killers medicines along with bactoclav-625. Are moxiclav 625/bactoclav 625/Azithral 500 same or once can take in different issues?
Answered by Dr. Deepashree 2 hours later
Brief Answer: hi, you can safely take paracetamol. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX anti inflammatory and pain killers medicine is paracetamol , diclofenac with seratio peptidase combination drug. Paracetamol is available over the counter. Rest of it are prescription medicines so you have to consult any doctor and take it. Bactoclav and moxclav 625 mg are same. But azithral is different antibiotic.
Follow up: Dr. Deepashree 4 hours later
Thanks very much for the reply, going forward i would like to go with the medication suggested by you therefore could you please elaborate with details so that i know when to take bactoclav and when to take azithral.
Brief Answer: Bactoclav twice a day with diclofenac. Detailed Answer: hi XXXXXXX take bactoclav twice a day after food for 5 days. don't take azithral. take anti inflammatory medicine , tab diclofenac twice a day after food. do beta dine gargle three to 4 times a day for 5 days.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Deepashree 8 hours later
As observed yesterday after taking the bactoclav 625 in the morning at 7:30am and evening at 7:00pm, in the evening around 9:00pm it was pain in the left side of throat but after 2-3 hours around 11pm it got subside, does it mean that it has pain killer as well and it will take time till the infection is completely remove. One more help i need now as my wife is also complaining about choked throat and having cough so please advice cough syrup for both of us i am also having cough.
Answered by Dr. Deepashree 3 hours later
Brief Answer: wait and watch. Detailed Answer: Hi your pain will take at least 3 days to reduce. Any medicine takes about 48 hours to start their action. So don't worry on all small issues. Just relax, drink boiled water, lots of tender coconut water also. Take adequate rest. You don't use cough syrup, once congestion reduces cough will reduce. Do salt water gargle or betadine gargle. Your wife can take any cough syrup containing dextromethrophan for dry cough , guiaphenisin for wet cough.