Suggest medicines for cough and running nose in a child

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Mon, 24 Sep 2018 in Child Health
Question: My 1 year and 8 months girl is suffering from cough and running nose. I have started giving her Cetirizine. Please suggest medication.
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Continue giving Cetrizine, give some cough syrup, watch for symptoms.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for asking on this platform

I have gone through the query and do understand your concern.
Most common cause of cough and cold without fever in this age is some allergy. Most of the babies get improved with Conservative treatment only within 4-5 days.

I would suggest you to continue Cetrizine once a day in same dose. I would like to add some combination (Ambrodil-ls or Ambrolite LS drops) of bronchodilator like Levosalbutamol with Mucolytic (sputum thinning agent) like Ambroxol for cough. The usual dose for this age is 1 ml three times a day. This is a prescription drug so please let get it prescribed by a pediatrician.

I won't get worried if baby is active, accepting feeds well and there is no breathing difficulty.
Watch for any abnormal symptoms if it is there consult your pediatrician immediately.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 2 days later
Thanks for your suggestions. I was unable to get the above said medicine. Instead I got Coscopin and Monocef O. Please suggest further and dosage.
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
I won't suggest Coscopin or Monocef

Detailed Answer:

Coscopin contains opioid agent(sedative) and is not recommended in children as it suppresses the cough and there may be retention of mucus inside the lung. That is the reason a Mucolytic with bronchodilator as mentioned earlier is preferred in this age.

Similarly, Monocef is an antibiotic and as cough/cold is not associated with fever, I don't think antibiotic is needed.
I would suggest you to consult your pediatrician for prescription of medication so that you may get that easily.

Hope I have answered your query.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 13 hours later
I got Macbery junior, please suggest dosage. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Dose is 5 ml three times a day for baby weighing around 10 kg

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Macbery Junior contains Levosalbutamol and the dose is 5 ml three times a day for a child weighing around 10 kgs.
This is a prescription medicine so please get it prescribed by a pediatrician.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Pradeep Kumar,
Pediatrician,
Cardiology
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana