• question-icon

Suggest medicines for chronic pain without side effects

Posted on Mon, 21 Apr 2014 in Pain Management
Question: I have been in chronic pain since I was a child. I began being treated with percocet and somehow ended up through the years 30mg oxycodone 4 times a day and Opana40 twice a day. Now I have thyroid cancer. They have stopped manufacturing dilaudid. and oxycodone. Believe me I want to cut back but all I can get is 2 40mg Opana and 4 percocets a day. This has been tortuous, I can't go to rehab because of my cancer. I have been unable to eat, throwing up and can't perform any important tasks. I do sincerely want to cut back but this is unbearable even the methadone clincs don't have anything. hat other meds can help me be more comfortable. I am in Pain Management now.What should I be prescribed and what strength and amount? Please advise.
Answered by Dr. Rohit Gulati 2 hours later
Brief Answer: already on good medicine Detailed Answer: Hi, I am sorry to hear the side effects you have been facing. These are the good medicines you are getting. To cut the side effects, I would start you on fentanyl patch 100 micrograms. It will successfully reduce your side effects as well as if it becomes effective. You would not have to change it for 72 hours. Further you can get added pregabalin 75 mg every night by your physician. I am sure with these changes you will be able to lead a better pain free life. Discuss with your treating doctor. Hope this advice helps. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Rohit Gulati

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist