Suggest medicine for migraine

General Surgeon
Question
I have new desk neighbor at work, she wears something that smells like irish spring, it is like an oil, my head hurts so bad I'm afraid I am going to throw up. I have already taken Claritin and don't want to take much more because I take 60 milligrams of Adderall a day. Can I take ibuprofen 600 or extra strength Excedrin. I don't know how to handle this girls smell she has been told about it before, if I have headaches like this everyday, I am not going to get anything done
Posted Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Deepika Patil 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
you are getting migraine attacks

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HealthcareMagic .

The symptoms which you are getting is migraine attack which is due to that smell. The main treatment for this is removing the cause . In your case getting away from the smell by preferably changing your desk.

I would suggest you to take naproxen (aleve) preferably with an antiemetic drug like domperidone (I am not sure you will get this over the counter there). I choose aleve since both ibuprofen and excerdin cause gastritis after using for a week or so. The next best choice is excedrin. Both these drug don't interact with adderall. Therefore no issues with it.

Besides the pain killer, I also insist you to consult a physician and start on flunarzine/propranolol depending on your heart condition. This will reduce your sensitivity to smell and also reduce future attacks both severity and number. This you are supposed to complete a course of 3months along with naproxen for acute attcks.

Hope I have answered your query . If any further queries are there I would love to help.

Dr.Deepika Patil