Suggest medications for sialorrhea

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: Are there presciption meds. For sialorrhea
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali 3 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX Wall,

Anticholinergic medications like Glycopyrrolate and Scopolamine are very effective.
Botulinum therapy is another choice.
Reply with thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali 3 minutes later
Excess mouth saliva in mouth not caused by any meds. I take. I have no other health problems. Are there any preciption meds available... Also. What is best and easiest way to lessen or get rid of swollen bags under my eyes. Thanks from a retired teacher in the big sky country of XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Anticholinergic drugs are found to be effective.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,
Good morning!
Thanks for your valuable information regarding your health related issues.

I advise you to consult a physician for proper clinical examination and some relevant lab tests to rule out any underlying possible cause.

The following medications are found to be useful in the treatment of excessive salivary secretions:

Oral Glycopyrrolate
Scopolamine (Hyoscine) skin patch
Injection of botulinum toxin to parotid and submandibular glands if the above medications did not show any response.

Besides the medications, you must avoid excess of coffee and alcohol, consumption of dairy products, and hot and spicy foods which promote salivary secretions.
Regarding the remedies for the swollen bags under your eyes:
These are usually a cosmetic concern and don't require specific treatment.
Assuming that you do not have any underlying health related issues like kidney or liver disease or xanthomas (abnormal deposition of fat beneath the lower eye lids),

Home and lifestyle treatments may help reduce or eliminate puffy eyes.

1. Wet a clean washcloth with cool water. While sitting up, apply the damp washcloth to the skin under and around your eyes for a few minutes using mild pressure.
2. Get enough sleep at night. For most adults, seven to eight hours a night is a good amount of sleep.
3. Sleep with your head slightly raised. Add an extra pillow or prop up the head of your mattress. Or elevate the entire head of the bed a few inches.

This helps prevent fluids from accumulating around your eyes as you sleep.
4. Reduce allergy symptoms.
5. Avoid allergens( if known) when possible.

If the above measures fail to reduce the swellings, then you may have to undergo laser therapy or the eyelid surgery (blepharoplasty) is an option to remove bags under eyes.

Hope the suggestions given above could be of great help in getting the treatment for your problems.

Wishing you a very good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali