Suggest medication when diagnosed with H1N1 infection

Dr. Prasad

Posted on Tue, 14 Mar 2017 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: Hello Dr, my wife and are tested positive for H1N1, what is the medication we should start ?

Answered by Dr. Prasad 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Symptomatic drugs +/- oseltamivir (antiviral)

Detailed Answer:

I am sorry to know about your wife's condition. H1N1 is a contagious infection and I hope you are following strict isolation measures to prevent spread of infection.

As far as treatment is concerned, primarily H1N1 is treated with symptomatic drugs like paracetamol, antihistamine, throat gargles, adequate rest, plenty of fruits and fluids. Antiviral drug oseltamivir will be started based on severity of the condition. Thus strict monitoring of progress is extremely important.

I recommend you visit her treating doctor and discuss about these options. I will be available to guide you further if necessary.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Follow up: Dr. Prasad 14 hours later
Thanks Dr, We have been asked to take Tamiflu 75mg twice a day for 5 days. Can I go to work after 5 days ?
Answered by Dr. Prasad 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
You may...

Detailed Answer:

It is common to prescribe tamilful (oseltamivir) to close family and friends to treat early infections if any. If you are asymptomatic, you may resume work after the 5 day course.

You and family member should get back to the doctor, if fresh symptoms of fever, nasal congestion and throat pain develop.

Hope this answers your question.