Suggest medication to treat vitamin D deficiency
on 11th She has been tested 25 Hydroxy vitamin D and found her Vitamin D deficiency.Her test result is 10.16 ng/ml.Do u think she needs DV K for her Vitamin D deficiency? please opine.
She is also taking ALZOLAM .5 mg at bedtime in Night.
Dear Sir, I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns for your mother, however she is suffering of severe vitamin d difficiency as the levels are recommended to be between 30-40 ng/ml.. It is also recommended that adults who are vitamin D deficient be treated with 50,000 IU of vitamin D3 once a week for eight weeks or its equivalent of 6,000 IU of vitamin D3 daily to achieve a blood level of 25(OH)D above 30 ng/ml, followed by maintenance therapy of 1,500-2,000 IU/day. It is important to chose a preparation that contains vitamin d3 and not vitamin d2 for better response and for maintenance oral doses it is preferred to take the supplement with a fatty meal for better absorption.. I hope you find this helpful..
SIR,plz prescribe the name of Medicine in GENERIC NAME.
Generic name: cholecalciferol
Dear sir, hello again.. The generic name is systemic cholecalciferol ( vitamin d3) this can be available in over the counter preparations and does not require a prescription.. I hope I answered your question..
how long will she continue the medicine?
Initial eight weeks
Dear sir, hello again.. the initial treatement should be continues o weekly doses for eight weeks, then followed by the maintenance dose previously mentioned possibly for life guided by a follow up testing of her vitamin d levels.. I hope I answered your question..
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Ramipril and vitamin d deficiency
- Eosinophilia in vitamin d deficiency
- Will replesta treat vitamin d deficiency?
- Will d400 treat vitamin d deficiency?
- Will d 1000 iu treat vitamin d deficiency?
- Drugs/medication for vitamin-d deficiency
- Vitamin d deficiency ayurveda
- Costochondritis and vitamin d deficiency
- Suggest treatment for vitamin d deficiency
- Vitamin d deficiency and crying
- What causes blood in stool while on Ibuprofen and Tylenol?
- Does Benzonatate interact with Trazodone?
- Suggest treatment for diarrhea, severe chills and fever
- What causes a lump in the armpit and fever?
- Suggest treatment for mucus in nasal passage
- Suggest treatment for throat pain and difficulty in swallowing
- Is chronic fatigue a symptom of Lyme's disease?
- Can Azithromycin cause painful lumps in the breasts?
- Suggest treatment for enlarged lymph nodes in the armpit and fatigue
- What causes severe vomiting and foul urine odor?