Suggest medication to treat tinnitus

Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist

Posted on Tue, 13 Sep 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Is there any medicine to subside tinitus? Or any remedy to stop the whistling in ears?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Finding the exact cause of tinnitus and treatment of the same...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting the query

Tinnitus is a symptom of various causes. The common causes include:
1. Eustachian tube (the tube connecting nose and the ear) block
2. Fluid in the middle ear
3. Damage to the sensitive inner ear or auditory nerve
4. Any vascular malformations in the middle ear
5. Fixation of the middle ear bones
6. Temporo-mandibular joint issues
7. Cervical spondylosis
8. Perforation of the ear drum, etc.

We need to find the exact cause and try to treat the same. If all the above causes are ruled out then one can try Intra-tympanic gentamycin, tinnitus maskers or hearing aid.

Hope this answers your query; Revert back to me if you have any follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D