Suggest medication to terminate early pregnancy

Posted on Wed, 17 Jun 2015 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Question: Hi,My sister's period was due on 23rd of this mnth,she missed her periods,she had sex before that...approx 10 days back..she now has some symptoms indicating that she's pregnant...want to know,how can she avoid it..she's not married and is of 24yrs.
she did pregnancy test 3 days back..but wasn't clear positive..however from past 4-5 days,she is having constant pain in her back,lower body,uterus,fever,body ache,yesterday she also had 2 dry vomits..
my parents are doctors,don't want them to know about it,so would like you to advice any home remedy like papaya or something,so that she can avoid it asap,rather then going for medicine..
& if she has to go for a medicine,den how soon does she has to start,whats d the name of medicine,how does she has to take &if there will be any future consequeces of same.?
please help doctor as she can't visit any doctor as all of them are familier with our parents.!!
thanks
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The abortion pills should always be taken under supervision.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,

Thanks for trusting us about her health care.
I can understand your concerns.
If your sister is pregnant than she needs abortion pills to avoid pregnancy but it should only be taken under supervision of a doctor or an expert.
Abortion pills sometimes cause severe bleeding, infection and incomplete abortion.
But before going for an abortion, she should confirm pregnancy by doing a home urine pregnancy test and ultrasound scan done to see the exact size and site of pregnancy.
The abortion pills can only be taken upto 49 days of pregnancy.
Hope it is useful, feel free to discuss more questions.
Kindly revert me back with her ultrasound report.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Good luck.

Follow up: Dr. Richa Agarwal 2 hours later
Before going for abortion pills,I have asked her to eat papaya..Do you think that will help.
She did a home urine test,but test result wasn't clear. As I said,her period was due on 23rd of this month..and till date no signs of period,but she is getting constant fever,bodyache,back ache,lower abdomen ache and utres ache.
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
She should repeat her test.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,

Yes, you can give her papaya it may help in abortion process.
She should go for repeat urine test with morning sample to confirm pregnancy bbefore going for abortion.
Why she is having fever and other symptoms, is she having urine infection?
Is she having any medication for her symptoms?
Hope to hear from you soon.
Good luck.
Follow up: Dr. Richa Agarwal 4 hours later
She has stones..but not very sure,if fever is because of it..because she's having constant back ache n lower abdomen ache,I thought fever might also be one of the symptom of pregnancy.
Also,wanted to know,do you think because of her stones she might have missed her periods...???
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Fever can be due to UTI cause by stone.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,

She may have fever due to UTI cause by stone.
Yes, she may missed her period due to stone.
In pregnancy usually low grade fever is there not high grade fever.
Hope it is useful, feel free to ask more.
Good luck.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Richa Agarwal

OBGYN