Suggest medication to reduce nicotine urge

Psychiatrist
Question
Sir, how to stop chewing tobacco?. Pl suggest some medicine to reduce nicotine urge
Posted Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Sunil Gupta 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please see details below.

Detailed Answer:

Tobacco (nicotine) dependence is one of the most problematic and prevalent addictions. Quitting chewing tobacco will need complete dedication.

I would recommend you to consult a psychiatrist and initiate treatment. There are multiple medicinal treatment available for quitting tobacco. Nicotine substitution (available as nicotine gums, patches etc.) takes care of the craving and urge and also prevents the withdrawal symptoms. Depending on the amount of tobacco currently used, the dose is determined and gradually tapered off over weeks. Other medications include bupropion and varnecline which help in reducing craving for tobacco.

In addition to medications, treatment for tobacco dependence should include behavioral treatment in which relaxation exercises, and distraction measures to control craving for tobacco are taught. Control of factors which are cues for tobacco like alcohol, company of people who smoke or chew tobacco, keeping cigarette/tobacco with self, etc. is required.

I do hope that I was able to answer your query. Please feel free to ask any further doubt that you might have.

All the best and happy quitting.

Dr. Sunil Gupta