Suggest medication to reduce high BP

Posted on Sat, 21 Feb 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I just want to know how can I reduce my BP? I read on internet that Telmikind AM (Calcium Channel Blocker) and Supermet XL 50mg (Beta Blocker) if taken together can lower my Blood glucose level extremely low. I am very much confused what should I do?

I am already taking Glycomet 1G and Glycomet 500gm respectively in a day for my type 2 diabetes

Answered by Dr. Prasanna Heijebu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You need all three antihypertensive drugs to control BP as of now.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mam.

I understand your concern.

I have completely gone through your medication list and uploaded documents.

You seem to have significantly resistant higher blood pressure which needs adequate control through more than one class of antihypertensive drugs.

Of course this runs the risk of blood pressure falling below the required values.

This in your case seems unlikely at the moment since your BP is still hovering high around 177/95 mm of hg in presence of two classes of antihypertensives -Telmikind and Aquazide.

This warrants the addition of a third class of antihypertensive Supermet XL.

Its extremely important in your case to keep the blood pressure in the range of 110/70 to 125/80 mm of hg as you are a diabetic.

Hence you need to use al the 3 prescribed medications to control your blood pressure.

Telmikind AM is a combination of Ace inhibitor and Calcium blocker.

This drug is known to have excellent effect in controlling the blood pressure in diabetic individuals.

Hence I want to conclude that you need not be scared of the risk of low blood pressure as of now .

Keep monitoring your blood pressure twice a week.

You need to temporarily discontinue one or two classes of antihypertensive drugs only if the blood pressure falls below 90/60 mm of hg.

Continue your anti diabetic drugs as usual.

Reduce the intake of salt in your diet. Keep it under 6mg/day.

Regular brisk walk also helps.

Avoid fried and fatty foods.

Post your further queries if any.
Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Prasanna Heijebu 4 hours later
Just wanted to know Can I take TELMIKIND AM and Stamlo 2.5 respectively in a day and avoid other two medications. i.e, AQUAZITE 12.5 mg and Supermet XL 50mg as Aquazite makes me urinate very frequently and I feel week and also I also I feel scared to add Supermet XL on the medication list.

About few hours ago, I took a dosage of Stamlo 2.5 (without doctor's concent) and I can see that my blood pressure is started falling down and now it's hovering around 140/80.

So, In short today, I took TELMIKIND AM, AQUAZITE 12.5mg and Stamlo 2.5 mg and now I can see my blood pressure is started falling down.

So, Can I just take this two medications only.

i.e, TELMIKIND AM in the morning and Stamlo 2.5 in the evening. Will this two medication will work to keep my blood pressure under control?
Answered by Dr. Prasanna Heijebu 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Supermet XL plus Telmikind AM is good together.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mam.

I understand your concern.

As already said Telmikind AM contains Telmisartan(AT1 antagonist) and Amlodipine(calcium channel blocker).

Likewise Stamlo contains Amlodipine.

Hence this combination is not ideal.

If in any case you want to take only 2 combination of drugs ,then Telmikind AM in the morning and Supermet XL at night will help.

Supermet XL is a cardioselective beta blocker agent which is very essential in diabetics.

Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Dr. Prasanna Heijebu