Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
178 Doctors are Online

Suggest medication to quit alcohol and for gastro acidic reflux

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 2190 Questions
i had been taking alcohol twenty years but from last 9 years i keep drinking for 10 to 12 days and leave it for 5 to 6 days regularly in the same patron and walk for 3 to 4 kilometers a day when not drinking i am diabetic (145to170 pp)i take quarter glynase m for diabeties and amccard at for hypertension once a day always gain my health then loose it ,i feel severe nausea and vomiting when ever i drink and a acidic taste in my mouth day and night and, i consume antacids like rabium plus ,rabicip and my troubles lower temporarily .now found confusion and bit distension in stomach and symptom are becoming worst lower pls help and what medicines to quit alcohol and for gastro acidic reflux compatible with medicine i am already taking i am male 47 yrs and schedule for medicine
Posted Wed, 21 Nov 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 9 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

You seem to be having a binge-drinking pattern of alcohol dependence. As regards, your gastric problems, you seem to be suffering from chronic acid peptic disease (APD) and reflux. This is caused due to stomach and duodenal irritation which leads excessive acid production and ulcer formation. This is the reason for the acid taste in your mouth, stomach discomfort and distension, etc. Rabicip, Rabium plus, etc. can help in decreasing the acid secretions, but it works only temporarily because your alcohol consumption keeps worsening it and prevents healing. So, along with treating this problem, it is very important to tackle your alcohol problems simultaneously.

Coming to the treatment part, firstly, I appreciate you for taking the initiative to seek help. This is half the road to success. Second half is that you should take treatment regularly and stay motivated.

Now, treatment for your alcohol problems will be in two phases. The first phase is called "de-toxification". In this phase, the aim is to get the body out of the effects of alcohol. This will include treatment of withdrawal symptoms (if any), improving your nutritional status and treating medical complications. The second phase is called "de-addiction". The main goal of this treatment is to prevent you from relapsing i.e. going back to your drinking. For this, there are medications called anti-craving agents like Acamprosate and Naltrexone. which can help reduce the urges or impulses to drink. There are other medication called detterent medication, like Disulfiram, which can also help you stay away from alcohol. Also, certain mood-stabilizing medication like Carbamazepine and Valproate can help in reducing your impulsivity and mood fluctuations, which may be causing you to have this kind of fluctuating drinking pattern.

Along with medication, counselling is also essential to improve your motivation and confidence levels. There are many forms of psychotherapy which can be used for de-addiction - like motivational enhancement therapy, aversion therapy, hypnotism, etc. A combination of medication plus psychotherapy has been found to yield the best results for de-addiction. So, please see a psychiatrist in person so that he can assess you in detail and plan which treatment option is appropriate for you.

Regarding your acid peptic disease, you can try a medication called 'Ulcikit'. It is a combination medication which is very useful especially in chronic and reccurrent cases. In addition, you can try a syrup called Sucrafyl-O, which serves as an antacid, anaesthetic as well as a ulcer-protective agent. You can also start on a thiamine supplement (Benthai Forte) and a hepato-protector (Silybon) for preventing further alcohol-related medical complications. The above medication can be taken safely with your anti-diabetic medication.

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest medication to quit alcohol and for gastro acidic reflux 1 hour later
regards and thanks for answering my question,
kindly tell me exact daily dose schedule and how long to take medicines prescribed to me also if you could write trade names available in India otherwise how can i start taking medicines of my own. kindly reply oblige so that can start treatment soon
under ur advice.
P.s proper prescription is a must for me.
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 8 hours later
Hello again,

Ulcikit (for chronic / recurrent acid peptic disease) comes as a set of three tablets - omeprazole 20 mg, amoxicillin 750 mg, tinidazole 500 mg. All three tablets have to be taken twice a day and have to be continued for a week at least.
Sucrafil-O syrup can be taken two spoons (before meals) three times a day.

As far as your alcohol problem, it is advisable to take:
Benthai Forte once a day (which is a Thiamine supplement) and
Silybon 70mg once a day (which is a hepato-protective agent for your liver)

As far as the de-addiction therapy is concerned, I would strongly recommed that you consult a psychiatrist in person because you first need a proper physical examination, a psychological assessment as well as some basic investigations, before planning further treatment options. Without doing these evaluations first, it may be unsafe to take the special de-addiction medication. Moreover, remember that medication is just one part of the therapy. Counselling, motivational enhancement and other psychological techniques are also absolutely essential to help you to stay motivated and get control over this habit.

Wish you all the best.
Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Addiction Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor