Suggest medication to prevent stroke

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Tue, 27 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: Hello Doctor, Patient is 80 years old male. He is under 10 medications (mostly antibiotics) as he had open heart surgery in 2012. Please see the list of medications below as per USA names.The medications are basically to control his heart, bp and urological. Patient is clinically doing ok now.
However, as a precaution, i need some advice. Patient's brother and sisters had suffered stroke in the family history.
My question is, if i see the symtoms of stroke to the patient, what should we do at home until Ambulance arrives ? is there any medication to keep at home to prevent stroke? what will be some of the best ways to avoid a stroke? what is the immediate procedure recommended to do in hospital with all due respect to hospital doctors.

Thanks
Mr XXXXXXX
XXXX
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Stroke prevention by diet, exercise, blood pressure control, and drugs.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again Mr. XXXXXXX

I have read your questions and understand your concerns.

If you notice any stroke symptoms such sudden sharp headache and conscience clouding, limbs weakness, speech disorder etc. the patient should be laying down and airways need to be secured and opened.

From the drugs list three of the drugs are generally used to prevent stroke among other uses (lipitor, aspirin and plavix ).

Best way to prevent stroke is healthy diet, exercise, avoiding alcohol, tobacco, correct control of blood pressure and diabetes, periodic medical checkup.

If stroke happens and is a ischemic one (blockage of brain arteries), within 4,5 hours trombolysis ( dissolving the thrombus injecting rTPA ) is the first step, if it fails, trombectomy (extraction of thrombus mechanically) using digital subtracting arteriography is the next step, besides correct control of brain oxygenation and blood pressure.

If a hemorrhagic stroke happens, in selected cases evacuation of hematoma or decompressive craniectomy is done surgically.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Best regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 2 hours later
Sir, thanks again. Sir, in the female person's case who had also vertigo in the past, how do we know, that this is not vertigo but stroke?

She is taking Nefidipine, Losarton, Atenol, Zocor, Aspirin. Apart from Aspirin, any other medication will help?

Thanks
Mr XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Vertigo can be caused by several conditions.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

Vertigo isn't the hallmark symptom of stroke, when it is caused by stroke, other neurological symptoms coexist.

Vertigo has many other causes such blood pressure changes, inner ear dysfunction etc.

As I mentioned before, Aspirin is okay as a drug in preventing ischemic stroke.

Strict blood pressure control needed also.

Hope I've been of help.

Best regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad