Suggest medication to prevent migraines

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Headache and Migraines
Question: Is there any way to get a medication to prevent miagrans I have been given pain meds but that is after they start also about ten years ago I was in a boating actcedent and had to have titanium plats one above my eye and on below to hold the eye in they say if they could do a MRI then they can tell more but it's always on that side of my head and sometimes it feel like my eye wants to come out but is there another test to Find out information on what is causing them I am having at least two a week and they are bad enough I can't work thank you XXXXXXX Mantooth
S like
Answered by Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
propranolol or sodium valproate for migraine prevention

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Welcome to HCM.
This is Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta answering your query.

I understand your concern.
First of all, migraine has to be prevented as well as the acute episodes has to be managed accordingly. For acute episodes, your doctor must have given you painkillers and sumatriptan etc. Now for prevention, i can suggest you propranolol or if it is not available, you can take sodium valproate, both after prescription from your doctor. Propranolol gives the best results.
As for diagnosis, migraine is mostly a clinical diagnosis with neuroimaging needed only to rule out other causes. So if titanium plates do not interfere with MRI, you can get it done. Otherwise continue drugs as advised and you should be fine.
Also do regular brisk exercise and eat healthy, dont strain yourself too much.

Hope this was useful.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta