Suggest medication to manage severe headaches

Posted on Fri, 19 Jun 2015 in Headache and Migraines
Question: Having severe tension headaches can this service prescribe pain medication
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Try amitryptiline under guidance

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX,
Tension type headache is chronic headache, bilateral, pressing bursting type. It's continuous and associated with some stress anxiety or depression.
There is no associated nausea, vomiting, photophobia, phonophobia.
No associated redness of eye, unilateral, autonomic features.
Not releived by rest.
Tension type headache is the most common headache.
So if you have such features then you are suffering from tension type headache.
For treatment amitryptiline in doses ranging from 10 mg to 100 mg can be tried. Higher doses have greater sedation and side effects.
Some other antidepressants can be tried.
One entity is medication overuse headache in which the tension headache doesn't get releived due to misuse of painkillers for long duration.
I will advise you to consult a neurologist for proper evaluation and treatment.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Neeraj Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist