Suggest medication for ulcerative colitis
Treatment of ulcerative colitis: drugs and surgery
Ulcerative colitis is an inflammatory bowel disease characterized by long lasting inflammation and ulcers along the colon mucosa.
Treatment involves both drugs and surgery depending on severity of symptoms:
- antiinflammatory meds like aminosalicylates, e.g. sulfazalazine and corticosteroids.
- immune system depressors like azathioprine or cyclosporine or vedolizumab
- additional treatment like antibiotics in cases of bacterial co-infection and fever, anti-diarrhea meds in case of severe diarrhea, iron supplements to restore iron deposits due to bleeding, pain killers like acetaminophen
If meds therapy fails, and symptoms are being aggravating, then surgery is a must.
A healthy diet regimen is also important.
Hope it answered your question. Let me know if you have other queries.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Ulcerative colitis vs colitis
- Drugs/medication for Ulcerative colitis
- Ulcerative colitis prostatitis
- Body swelling diagnosed with ulcerative colitis taken medications why swelling
- Guava in ulcerative colitis
- Ulcerative colitis versus colitis
- Drugs/medication for ulcerative colitis arthritis
- Suggest medication for ulcerative colitis
- Ulcerative colitis cerebral aneurysm
- Drugs/medication for simplex, ulcerative colitis