Suggest medication for throat congestion and cough

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 9 Nov 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have thick clear mucus in back of my throat at night I get nasal drip and cough what would be a good med for this
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Take a trial with this regimen.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. The most effective regimen would be a two week trial with the following medication.
a. A non - sedating antihistamine (such as fexofenadine)
b. An antileukotriene (such as montelukast)
c. A steroid nasal spray (such as mometasone)
d. Regular steam inhalation
e. A hypertonic saline nasal wash
f. A cough suppressant.
g. Anti reflux treatment, if necessary.

2. Reply after sustained treatment with the above medications after two weeks. Get a prescription from a local doctor.

3. If this us effective, taper over three months. If not, get a skin prick allergy test (AllergoSPT), a food intolerance test (Food Detective)and upload the results along with plain Sinus CT images.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.

Regards.