Suggest medication for swollen lump in mouth

Dr. Satvinder Bakshi

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have a swollen lump in my mouth, on the left side, above my incisor... toward the top of the outer wall of my mouth (where the gum reaches the inner top of my lip). I have had this before and it will typically drain with a hot compress. Is this caused by sinus drainage/infection? What course is best to keep this from recurring?
Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it is caused by a dental infection

Detailed Answer:
Hello

From your description iit looks like that you are having an infection of your teeth most probably the incisor or canine and this has caused a small collection of pus ( abscess) in your gums.

Please meet your dentist , he will drain the collection and start you on a course of antibiotics.

He will also find out the cause for the infection and once that is known , you can be treated accordingly.

please dont worry , once your teeth are taken care of , the bump will not recur.

Follow up: Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 4 minutes later
My concern is that I have had this a couple of times before and just went to the dentist last week. I have been under consistent care for my dental needs. I am worried that it may be related to my sinuses. I have recently had sinus congestion and this seems to occur in line with the congestion. If so, would the dentist be the appropriate person to see or is there another type of doctor to consult for this if it is possibly sinus related?
Based on your comment, it is likely an infection of some sort. Im curious if there is a need to rinse with some sort of antibacterial solution to minimize the infection?
One more detail... the sore is at the very top of my mouth, closer to my cheek bone than my tooth, in case this detail is helpful...

Thank you...
Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
still try to meet your dentist first

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Yes thanks for that information , i would still like you to meet your dentist as it is very very rare for a sinus infection to track down into the mouth and present as a bump.

Dental infections , specially from the roots can spread anywhere in the mouth and are more common, therefore meeting a dentist would be a better idea.

Take care!