Suggest medication for swelling under the eye post chalazion surgery

Dr. Dadapeer K

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Thu, 15 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: We've been talking for some time now. I'm two months post Chalazion surgery. It's been 4 weeks since the last kenelog injection. The chalazion is gone. I continue to have swelling under my eye. I was given Tobramycin ointment that I used for 2 weeks back in August.twice a day, I use it every once in a while if I see swelling. It works, but the corner of my eye feels a little irritated. So I stopped completely for a few days. (note when I did use it, I would use a tiny amount on my lid) this kept things at bay. Now that I've stopped, the swelling is worse. Cant take the antibiotic they wanted me on for 6 weeks. any suggestions. I do have a f/u appt later today with the doctor.
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can use Erythromycin eye ointment.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to Health care Magic

I reviewed your history and the previous questions you had asked to me on Health care Magic.

I can understand your concerns as a simple chalazion is causing so much of discomfort for you.
But not to worry, I think these problems of swelling is basically because of associated blepharitis and treatment of blepharitis will solve your problem.

You can use warm compression and baby shampoo as suggested by me in my previous answers. If these are not working you can use erythromycin eye ointment instead of Tobramycin.

Hope this information is helpful to you.

Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj