Suggest medication for swelling in the toes

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My 46 year old son has two swollen toes for unknown reason. The pain began at the base of the 2nd & now on to the 3rd toe. Other family members have gout....could this be gout? He is a reforming alcoholic. Doesn't recall spraining or hitting is toe/s in any way. His wife recently (2 mos ago) dropped him from her medical insurance due to a legal separation. Is there anything OTC that may help. He has iced his toes & did not help at all...went from one toe to the next one.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Try Ibuprofen

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query for your son.
Read the history, insurance problem, reforming alcoholi, family history of gout swelling spreading from one toe to another without any history of injury.
Since there is no history of any trauma the possibility of gout or an infection is obvious.
Please give some additional information:
Since when has the swelling started?
Is the skin red and warm?
Is there severe tenderness?
Inability to move the toes?
Any other history like diabetes?
Please post actual, clear and focussed photos as they help for on-the- spot diagnosis.

He may certainly try Ibuprofen if it suits him, along with PPI like Omeprazole considering the past history.
If required he needs to consult a Doctor for clinical evaluation, relevant investigations and additional treatment.

Awaiting for feedback and photos.