Suggest medication for stomach ulcer

Posted on Wed, 15 Jun 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Can I take an anti acid pill if I think I may have a stomach ulcer? I've had those in the past and I threw up this morning and it had blood in it. I tried to take my pain medicine and my stomach is on fire. So I throw up the pain meds, which makes me even more nauseated bc it's been 18 hours since I could keep anything down. I'm just trying to think of something that helps with my stomach burning, but don't like to take pepto bc it makes me too constipated on top of the constipation I deal with due to my medication. Thanks!

How long will this take to answer?
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
take a proton pump inhibitor and see a doctor soon

Detailed Answer:
The best medication to take for a possible ulcer is a proton pump inhibitor like prilosec, prevacid or nexium. That is what we use to heal ulcers. However, you can not be sure it is an ulcer so I would start that medication and then get in to see a doctor as soon as possible. Ulcers can have serious complications so don't play around with this. See a doctor as soon as possible. If you are unable to keep food down after taking this type of medication or if you keep vomiting blood then you should go to emergency right away.
Dr. Robinson
Dr. Kathy Robinson