Suggest medication for stomach ulcer

Posted on Wed, 15 Jun 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Can I take an anti acid pill if I think I may have a stomach ulcer? I've had those in the past and I threw up this morning and it had blood in it. I tried to take my pain medicine and my stomach is on fire. So I throw up the pain meds, which makes me even more nauseated bc it's been 18 hours since I could keep anything down. I'm just trying to think of something that helps with my stomach burning, but don't like to take pepto bc it makes me too constipated on top of the constipation I deal with due to my medication. Thanks!

How long will this take to answer?
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
take a proton pump inhibitor and see a doctor soon

Detailed Answer:
The best medication to take for a possible ulcer is a proton pump inhibitor like prilosec, prevacid or nexium. That is what we use to heal ulcers. However, you can not be sure it is an ulcer so I would start that medication and then get in to see a doctor as soon as possible. Ulcers can have serious complications so don't play around with this. See a doctor as soon as possible. If you are unable to keep food down after taking this type of medication or if you keep vomiting blood then you should go to emergency right away.
Dr. Robinson
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Answered by
Dr. Kathy Robinson

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :1989

Answered : 3478 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Drug/Medication ,   ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Prevacid

doctor1 MD

My grandmother feels weak and dizzy every morning. She is not a diabetic. We have taken her to the hospital four times. I had them take her off her...

doctor1 MD

I was diagnosed with a small ulcer when I was scoped in April. The doctor put me on prevacid for one month. The last two or three weeks off and on...

doctor1 MD

4 year old son has the following symptoms.: abdominal distention, diarrhea, and vomiting for 1 week. Vomiting sunsided and abdominal distention...

doctor1 MD

Sorry it s so long! I am 27 yo female, 5 8, 135lbs. I have been dealing with nausea and pain between my rib cage near my LES on a daily basis for...

doctor1 MD

I have a stinging sensation under my skin in the abdominal area from bottom of the rib cage basically all over the abdomen. Fluctuates during the...

doctor1 MD

Hi Doctor, My daughter has been treated off an on for reflux since birth. She had a terrible time with her bottle, would arch her back and scream....

doctor1 MD

My 17 year old daughter recently became sexually active. She's also gone through a lot of stress . She's been having intense stomach pain where she...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

152 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction