Suggest medication for sleeplessness while on Lithium and Anafranil

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2014
Dec 2014

Psychiatrist
Question
Hello... I take Lithium and anafranil. The anafranil has stopped the intrusive thoughts only now I cant sleep. I've tried doxapin, resteral, benadryl, melatonin, tea, do you have any suggestions as to how I can get some sleep. Thank you!
Tue, 5 Jun 2018 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Dose of Anafranil can be increased.

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking from HCM

I can understand your concern. You are currently on Anafranil and Lithium. Both these drugs cause sedation and help in sleep. Anafranil results in improvement of sleep. If your thoughts are under control then you can ask your doctor to increase the dose of Anafranil. This will help in improvement of sleep.

Alternatively low dose Olanzapine or Quetiapine can be used to improve the sleep. These medicines will supplement the actions of Anafranil too. You can talk with your doctor for these.

Thanks and Take care