Suggest medication for sinus congestion in a hypertensive person

Dr. Klarida Papaqako

Posted on Wed, 30 May 2018 in General Health
Question: What is a safe/effective medication for a sinus cold with dripping sinuses and coughing, for a person taking blood pressure medication?
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Medicines used for sinus congestion don't interact with blood pressure meds

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for using Healthcaremagic to post your health query.
I read carefully your question and I understand your concern.

Drinking plenty of fluids it is very important, in forms of plain water but also warm teas, and eating fruits or vegetables rich in fibers and vitamin C.

You can use every medicine that is used for viral infections symptomatic treatment that in general have a combination of Acetaminophen (helps for sore throat, fever and pains), and antihistamine medicine (helps with the possible allergy symptoms) and a decongestant (helps with the runny nose and congestion). Any of them will interact with your blood pressure medicines, but they will give a bit of drowsiness as a side effect.

If the sinus symptoms last for more then 10 days, with nose blockage, green/yellow thick secretions, then you will need to see a local doctor to prescribe an antibiotic. Antibiotics do not interact with blood pressure medicines as well.

Hope this is helpful.
Let me know if you need more clarifications.

Dr. Papaqako

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T