Suggest medication for severe cough during pregnancy

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 4 May 2018 in Pregnancy
Question: what should be the medicine my wife can take for havvy cough . she is pregnant of 3 months .
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Warm saline gargles and antibiotics will help.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
Throat infection (bacterial or viral) may be due to seasonal changes or contact with allergen and dust particles.

Safe antibiotic like Cephalexin, Combined Amoxicillin & Cloxacillin etc along with Anti-histamine drug like Levocetirizine can be given to treat throat infection and allergy. Kindly, procure a complete prescription from her DOCTOR.

In addition, she must maintain oral hygiene to avoid repeated infection. She can use HEXIDINE mouth wash regularly in addition to above and brush her teeth 3 to 4 times daily or after taking foods each time.

Some basic home remedies can improve her condition and prevent recurrence:

a) Drinking plenty of water or fruit juice to stay hydrated and keep throat moist.

b) Inhaling steam or warm saline gargles wll help.

c) Staying away from household dust, pollens, powders, droplets, smoke, allergen substances etc.

d) Taking one teaspoon honey & tulsi juice in the morning or hot drink like milk at bed time is quite helpful.

e) Taking hot shower bath, sleep with an extra pillow under head and vitamin-C supplements are very much essential.

Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj