Suggest medication for severe cough during pregnancy

Posted on Mon, 14 Dec 2015 in Pregnancy
Question: My wife is having pregnancy with 33 month. She is suffering from cough, seems the Chest is filled with pasum. Please advise.Wife is pregnant by 33 weeks. She was suffering from viral fever, cold and dry cough. Following medicines have been prescribed. 1. Clavam 625 (antibiotic) for 5 days (course already complete) 2. Ambrodil plus for cough

Now, no fever but She is suffering from cough, seems the Chest is filled with pasum. Please advise.
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Precautions advised

Detailed Answer:
Hello mam, thanks for trusting health care magic.
In my opinion she needs change of antibiotic and might need intravenous antibiotics as it is serious to have long standing infection in pregnancy despite full treatment of infection.
If not treated properly on time then it can cause growth retardation of the baby and even preterm labor and delivery.
So visit a medical specialist and get her examined properly so that he can assess if she needs intravenous antibiotics or just a change to higher antibiotic will suffice.
Give her steam inhalation 3-4 tines a day along with warm saline gargles and hot milk 2-3 times a day.
Wish her best of health soon.
Dr Manisha
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 3 minutes later
Thanks a lot for your response. Can you suggest some medicines for intravenous antibiotics. Also please suggest whether Nebulization would help.
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Antibiotic change is very much needed

Detailed Answer:
Yes definitely nebulisation with sterile saline solution is very helpful in case you can get it for her otherwise steam inhalation is also good enough.
As she is pregnant, I usually put my patients on ceftriaxone or cefoperazone injections but that is nor without examination.
As on auscultation of her lungs if air entry is good and wheezing is minimal but there is just sputum then a higher oral antibiotic can do well for her like cefuroxime axetil along with steam and gargles so examination by a physician is a must.
Dr. Manisha Jain

OBGYN