Suggest medication for sciatic nerve pain

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 14 Dec 2016 in Back Pain
Question: I have a herniated disc (L4) and its causing me severe pain with the sciatic nerve. I'm 48 years old 5'10" 240LBS I'm more or less a powerlifter. I never had a back problem the x-rays of my spine showed a perfect spine. But the MRI painted a different picture. as I said in the beginning the (L4) is Herniated and causing me serious pain. 4 years ago I tore my inner quad off the shin bone and that pain was nothing compared to this. In saying that, when I had the quadricep problem the Doctor gave me oxycodone 5-325 1 to 2 every 4 to 6 hours for pain. The Orthopedic Doctor I'm working with now is giving me hydrocodone 10/300 1-3 times a day. I told him basically I explained to him what I'm telling you now. What he prescribed for me is doing absolutely nothing for the pain. I don't think I should be pain free, I feel pain meds should at least take the edge off. My question is am I wrong in feeling that I'm being under medicated? for he refuses to give me anything more for the pain. I have a high tolerance to pain and I'm in extreme agony. The reason I ask is I am considering changing doctors because of this reason and the fact I've been this way for 3 months
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Needs further assessment with ultrasound/MRI

Detailed Answer:
Hi there.

Do get an ultrasound to look for the present status of the torn quad.

Yes, it is possible that you may need better medication but we need to assess your problem severity first.

You can try Buprenorphine patch which is good in pain relief.

Anti inflammatory medication like Ibuprofen should also help.

Physiotherapy can be decided depending on the strength of the affected muscle, once the ultrasound report is issued.

Avoid strenuous activity and lifting weights.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr. Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Aashish Raghu 1 hour later
A herniated disc that is causing severe sciatic nerve pain is the issue. I have done all the necessary tests, MRI, ultra sound and X-rays. I'm in the process of doing ESI inections before considering surgery. In the mean time the doctor has me taking Naproxen 500 mg twice a day, Flexeril 10 mg 3 times a day and Vicodin 10mg 3 times a day. I feel and have told the doctor that the pain medication (Vicodin) is not helping at all. He refuses to give me anything stronger. I'm thinking of changing doctors because of it. I want to know if I am right in making such a decision? I feel he is under medicating me for the pain. Realistically I've been prescribed more for a pulled tooth.
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need to try ESI, Patch treatment for pain, Physiotherapy first

Detailed Answer:
Yes, Steroid infections are a good idea in your case. Also do discuss with your Doctor about trying Buprenorphine patches for pain relief.

I suggest you give this a try and if it doesn't work in your favour, you may option a second opinion.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Aashish Raghu 2 hours later
The quad was used as an example for the pain I'm going through. I had the operation 5 years ago for it. The pain I'm experiencing now far exceeds the pain I felt then. I have fully recovered from that procedure which took 4 screws to reattach the tendon to the bone. Thank you for your time.
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consult Pain management specialist

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the reply. Do consult a Pain Medicine specialist for the best and safe management of your pain.