• question-icon

Suggest medication for rosacea on the cheeks

Posted on Sat, 15 Jul 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Is permethren really a good substitute for Soolantra 1% cream which I have been using on my face for three weeks with wonderful results? I have had very slight rosacea ( only the redness flushing on cheeks) on and off for several years, but about two months ago I started having the red bumps and pustular lesions which are very unsightly and did not respond or heal. I have used Aveeno Oatmeal soap and lotion since age 27 and I am now 66. Have had a nice complexion and never deviated from Aveeno because my shin is extremely sensitive. The reason I tried Soolantra is because my sister also has rosacea and was experiencing the pustular red breakouts and was prescribed Soolantra which has also worked very well for her. She gave me a partial tube to try and it has banished the breakouts, healed my skin and has been mild and gentle to my face and did not cause any irritation. My own Dr. has now written me a Rx for Soolantra, but it required a preauthorization. The cost would have been $519.00 dollars, but today the pharmacy called to say they were authorized to give me a substitute Permethrin cream at a cost of $43.00( the top XXXXXXX cost of meds under my Part D insurance plan.) My main question is- Is Permethren comparable to Ivermectin( Soolantra) or is it harsher and less safe? Any info or advice given would be very much appreciated and thank you for giving me your time and attention.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Permethrin cream has same anti-inflammatory properties as Soolantra...

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern.

You say that are suffering of a break out of pustular rosacea. Both Soantra (ivermectin) and Permethrin cream are great choice to treat inflammation caused by this type of rosacea.

So, go ahead and take the medication as prescribed by your doctor safely and hoping that could give great results to you.

Studies have shown that permethrin cream has superior anti-inflammatory properties as compared to metronidazole gel (which is another possible medication for papulopustular rosacea).

Let me know how well permthrin cream is working for you in the next follow up. \
Wish fast recovery.
Dr.Albana
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Albana Sejdini