Suggest medication for reddish bumps on the throat while treating strep throat

Dr. Eni

Posted on Mon, 28 May 2018 in General Health
Question: Tested positive for strep 5 days ago. On amoxicillyn but throat stills hurts. Saw reddish bumps on left side of throat this morning. Do I need a different antibiotic, or could this be a cold? Had a sore throat for about 3 days 2 weeks ago and then felt better. Also, if I were to get retested for strep tomorrow, would it show up if I don't have it anymore?pm
Answered by Dr. Eni 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Keep using amoxicillin

Detailed Answer:
Dear patient,
First of all, I want to say that I have read your question and I understand your concern.
Streptococcus is a normal inhabitant of human throat. In more than 70% of the population you can find it in a normal strep exam. This is why the presence of strep doesn't determine the treatment, it is the clinical symptoms that help us choose the treatment.
Something that could've been done to that strep found in exam, would be an antibiogramme. This determines which is the most effective antibiotic against the strep found in your throat.
The first line of treatment is amoxicillin, and if the antibiogramme shows that the bacteria has become resistant to it, then another antibiotic is used depending on the antibiogramme and the most sensitive antibiotic.
Still, it takes 4-5 days for the antibiotic to work fully, so I would recommend to wait a couple more days, and then, if you haven't healed fully, you can do another strep test plus antibiogramme and choose the most specific antibiotic.
Now, the episode you mention 2 weeks ago, may be a sore throat with viral origin, which has weakened your immune system and made it easier for the strep infection to manifest. This happens very often.

Hope I have answered your question. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health!
Manoku Eni M.D.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T