Suggest medication for recurrent pimples

Dr. Rahul Kumar

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 13 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi
I am 22 year male I am continuously getting pimples which are swollen and filled with pus from last one year,my friend suggested me to try isotrion 20mg for a month to get rid of it,shall I go with his advice or go for other pills

Thank you in advance
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Isotretinoin should be the last resort

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Isotretinoin is the last resort in acne management.
It is effective but has side effects too.
It can cause dryness of lips hairfall and photodensitivity.
It is better to try topical creams first.
Meet a dermatologist and get creams prescribed. If these don't work you can go for isotretinoin.
Let me know if you have any other doubts.
Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Rahul Kumar 17 minutes later
Hi currently I am using dervia ms and erytop as prescribed but still I am getting pimples and these pimples are big in size and filled with pus,so please suggest me which cream will be beneficial for me to get rid of these.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 41 hours later
Brief Answer:
try doxycycline first

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Deriva is a tretinoin based cream.
Non response to this means you need an oral medication.
You also mentioned puss filled lesions so an antibiotic will be best for you.
It is better to try doxycycline first.
However it is a prescription drug hence you must meet a dermatologist and get it prescribed.
Thank you