Suggest medication for psoriasis

Dr. Charu Bansal

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 23 Nov 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi Doctor,
My husband is suffering from psoriasis, he used homeopathy medication since 7 months and said it was middle stage. But there seems to be not much improvement, if there is few days gap in using medicine it again starts.
What is the best solution for this?
Answered by Dr. Charu Bansal 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
psoriasis can be controlled but cannot be cured

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Welcome to Healthcaremagic.com. I have read your query. I understand your concern.
Psoriasis is an autoimmune cell mediated disease that can be kept under control by using medications. The treatment of Psoriasis depends on the percentage of the body surface area involved. If involvement of body surface area is less than 10 percent then only topical medications are given. In more, oral medications like Methotrexate/cyclosporine are started. The treatment of choice is topical potent steroids like Clobetasol/Halobetasol.
Psoriasis is such a condition that cannpt be completely eradicated but can be controlled by oral and topical medications.
Psoriasis aggravates on inducing pressure over affected area and by scratching. So he should avoid it.
Properly moisturise the body
It would have been better if you could attach photographs of the affected area .
If you have any further query, you may ask me.
Stay healthy.

Follow up: Dr. Charu Bansal 5 hours later
Thanks for your response. The affected area is exactly at the back so he is bit reluctant on taking pictures. The affected area in not more than 10%, so what are the topical medications which can be used to control it, he has itching as well.
Answered by Dr. Charu Bansal 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
potent topical steroid with salicylic acid

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Welcome back.
In such patients, I prefer to advise topical potent steroid in combination with Salicylic acid like Halobetasol with salicylic acid available in market with brands Halovate-S cream or Halox -S cream. It is to be applied twice daily over the affected area for atleast 2 weeks. Keep the area properly moisturised.
He may take antihistaminics like levocetrizine for symptomatic relief of itch.
You may start the treatment and may revert back to me again once he starts the treatment for any further advice.
He would need prescription for the medications.
You can share my opinion with your treating doctor.
I hope it helps. Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina