Suggest medication for pneumonia, wheezing, cough and breathlessness

Pulmonologist
Question
Pneumonia acquired in home, prob viral but still lowgrade fevers, wheezing, cough, feels short of breath often.
Not improving on clarithromycin , 5 days now.
A better antibiotic choice ??

Thank you, XXXX, md (radiologist)
Thu, 24 May 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Levofloxacin can be tried

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to HealthcareMagic,

I can understand your concern...

Usually, we recommend Clarithromycin twice daily per oral for a week. For wheezing and breathlessness, you can add in the current treatment nebulizer with steroids combined with bronchodilators (like Clenil C twice) and wait for 2-3 days.

If you think that Clarithromycin is not working and especially if you are a smoker or ex-smoker and/ have any comorbidities than you can start Levofloxacin (new fluoroquinolones, prescription-based) once daily per oral for one week and the nebulizer too.

Hope to have been helpful to you.

I wish a fast recovery for you

Regards and feel free to ask me again

Dr.Jolanda