Suggest medication for myasthenia gravis

Dr. Ajay Panwar

Neurologist

Posted on Mon, 7 Aug 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: My huzband has myasthenia graves what medication shoud he take?
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pyridostigmine/Steroids/Immunosuppressants

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for being on healthcaremagic.com.
I am Dr.Ajay Panwar,a neurologist,here to answer your query.

Typically, Pyridostigmine(Distinon), oral steroids(Prednisolone) and Immunosuppressants(commonly Azathioprine) are the mainstay of therapy.However, their schedule and dosage are to be carefully monitored by a Neurologist.

Hope that helps,If you have any further questions, I shall be glad to have you in follow-up.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Ajay Panwar 4 hours later
I have another question.about my husband who has Myasthenia stops taking Azathioprine and cortisone and takes only 2 Mestinon will his health get worse?

Thank you in advance.

Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Don't change medicines unless advised.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for being in follow-up.

It is my sincere suggestion that medicines in Myasthenia should not be changed or stopped unless advised to do so by the treating doctor.

without steroids or azathioprine, long term management of the disease would be difficult, so, ask your husband to see his treating doctor immediately, so that he is put on the right treatment path.

Hope that helps.If you have any further questions,I shall be glad to answer them.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj