Suggest medication for myasthenia gravis that does not cause weight gain

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Diabetologist

Posted on Sat, 20 May 2017 in General Health
Question: Are there any drugs for Myasthenia Gravis that do not cause weight gain? I am small but want to stay small.

And does removing the Thymus Gland stop the disorder?
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
I am Dr Mittal.
I have read your message.
Ideally i would like to know your symptoms.
And the medicine started.

First and foremost, steroids are one of the medicines given. Not always are they needed. Many patients are well treated with neostigmine or pyridostigmine. Even if steroids are started, they are usually given short term like 3 to 6 month. Thereafter , the other medicines are started like azathioprine. These steroids are needed to start therapy because they have the fastest action against antibodies that are the chief culprit in myasthenia.

As for thymectomy, this is done in a specific age range. Thymus removal may or may not cure Myasthenia gravis. However, it is sure to reduce the dosage of the medicines needed.

Be aware that while azathioprine and all are in use, the medicines are not fool proof safe. They have their side effects as well.

I have tried to make it as simple as possible.
Feel free to contact me for more information on any related issue.
Best of luck, Dr Mittal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng