Suggest medication for minor burn

Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: hi doc- I had a minor accident and have minor burn due to my bike silencer, kindly advice the oilment to apply
Answered by Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Advised Aloevera gel.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

You have mentioned you have minor burn.
If I were your treating doctor I would suggest you Injection TT(tetanus toxoid) if your last TT shot was more than 5 years.
For minor burns I would suggest silver sulfadiazine cream/gel three times a day. Your local pharmacist will know about this cream; its available over the counter.
Antihistamine like cetrizine one tablet if you have itching and pain killers like Ibuprofen for pain can be added.

Clean burnt area under running tap water it will decrease skin temperature and pain.
Whenever you apply cream do wash effected area before applying cream.
Whenever you go out side you can do dressing with sterile non stick gauze.
If it forms blisters do not puncture it,open blisters more prone to infection.

Hope I have answered your query.
If you have any queries I will be happy to help you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad