Suggest medication for inflammation of groin and rectal are post radiation treatment

Dr. Esmeralda Sera

Oncologist

Posted on Wed, 18 Oct 2017 in Cancer
Question: Good Day. My mother was given a high level of radiation to treat her endometrial cancer. it damaged a lot of her tissue and caused a lot of inflammation by her groin and rectal area. She has a colostomy done. In order to do a reversal she needs to get the inflammation down and the tissue to repair. Can you recommend any supplements or have any suggestions on how she can get the inflammation down and repair her tissues. thank you.
Answered by Dr. Esmeralda Sera 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Radiotherapy

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking

It's take some weeks after radiation to have a normal fuction of the aera that the radiotherapy was uesed. You can use;
Creams: Calendula ointment and silver sulfadiazine cream are considered effective topical treatments

Silver sulfadiazine cream, an antibacterial agent, can be used

Low-dose topical corticosteroids might help reduce irritation and inflammation

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Esmeralda Sera 1 hour later
I meant internal inflammation by the rectal and groin area. She has to get the inflammation down internally.
Answered by Dr. Esmeralda Sera 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Radiotherapy

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

She can use corticosteroids by mouth for some days,painkillers if she feels pain.In the case that she have fever antibiotics too