Suggest medication for hypertension
Welcome To HCM. I am Dr Anshul Varshney. I understand your concern.
To help you better I need to know a few details about you:
1. How much is your BP reading these days?
2. When was it diagnosed first time and how? What was the reading that time?
3. Have you achieved menopause?
4. Any medicines you have taken for high BP?
5. Any history of diabetes or thyroid issues?
Revert with the asked details for a better help.
1. How much is your BP reading these days? 150/90
2. When was it diagnosed first time and how? 4 years ago What was the reading that time? 140/90
3. Have you achieved menopause? yes
4. Any medicines you have taken for high BP? None. It actually came down and stayed that way for over a year.
5. Any history of diabetes or thyroid issues? thyroid panel has remained normal
You need low dose diuretic.
Hello the current recommendations suggests that at your age we don't need to treat BP of 140/80. However since your reading is crossing that you should take a low dose diuretic like Hydrochlorothiazide.
Since at present you are not willing to take medicines we can give a try of lifestyle modifications for a month or so.
I would advice you following:
1. To take low salt diet.
2. Exercise regularly. Shred some more weight and do go for jogging/running. Exercises increases your BP temporarily during the exercise period but overall they help wonderfully in controlling your blood pressure.
3. To consume garlic and fenugreek seeds.
4. Avoid alcohol, smoking , fatty food , pickle and soda.
This is all you can do to control your blood pressure and even if you don't get it in range you would need medicine as discussed.
I hope it helps you.
If you have any further query, please ask me.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest the medication for hypertension
- Side effects of hypertensive medication
- Contraindications for hypertensive medications
- Suggest medication for portal hypertension
- Usages of hypertensive medication
- Hypertension medical interventions
- Hcg diet and hypertension medication
- Suggest medication for diabetes and hypertension
- Hypertensive medications to avoid if chf
- Suggest medication for female with hypertension and overweight