• question-icon

Suggest medication for hypersensitivity pneumonitis

Posted on Tue, 9 Dec 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: What medication should be prescribed for hypersensitivity pneumonitis? Have had a little problem with this ailmment caused by black mold in my home. Have just bought anotyher house in last six months and I think that this house might have a bit of mold bt I can not find it, I have smelled it. What should I be taking for this? Cough all the time and certain parts of the house give me a slight headache.
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Requires evaluation.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome To HCM. I am Dr Anshul Varshney.
I understand your concern.
Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis is treated according to the symptoms a person is facing.
If there are recurrent attacks of Pneumonia associated with fever, antibiotics and Anti fungals might be required.
If cough, breathlessness , wheezing is there, then anti allergic drugs (Levocetrizine and Montelukast), inhaled steroids are used.
In serious condition oral / systemic steroids might be required.
It is said that best way out is to avoid the allergen. But if the allergen is in the air, it is practically not possible to avoid it.
I would advise you to first of all get following investigations done:
1. Hemogram with ESR.
2. Chest Xray PA view.
3. Sputum for gram stain and Fungal stain.
4. IgE levels.
5. Absolute Eosinophil count.
These are the basic investigations that are required in intital phase to start the treatment.
Wish you a speedy recovery.
If you have any further questions please ask me.
Stay Healthy.
Dr. Anshul Varshney