Suggest medication for high BP

Posted on Wed, 12 Oct 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have been on long term blood pressure meds. I am 69 and overweight. I was on amlodipine and perindopril but blood pressure increased after some years and GP changed perindopril to candesartan 16mg. However, dentist said I have a problem with amlodipine as it is causing gum growth which could lead to gingival hyperplasia. So came off amlodipine and was given candesartan 32mg. On it for 4/5 weeks and experienced very bad headaches and slight vision disturbance. Went back to GP and he changed me to Losartan 50mg. Have been on that one week but this morning woke at about 3.00 am with really bad headache and got up with one at 7.00am. Took blood pressure couple of times to see if up. 180/102, 175/95, 167/94. How long does the losartan take to work? Could the headache be the high BP or a side effect.
What other medications could I be on for high BP which don't have the side effect of affecting my gums? Is it better to take 2/3 meds in smaller doses to control BP?
Answered by Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Losartan dose is small

Detailed Answer:
Dear Mrs,

If you were taking candesartan 32mg, then Losartan 50mg is a small dose for you, that's why you had a high blood pressure at night. The headache may be rather associated to high blood pressure than side effect of the medication.
You can discuss with your doctor to increase the dose of Losartan or add a diuretic to have a better controlled BP.

Come back if you have any further questions
Follow up: Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan 1 hour later
Is it better to have two medications in small doses rather than one at a high dose. What about alpha blockers, is that a possible?
Answered by Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Welcome back

Detailed Answer:
It is better ta take two medications with smaller dose, than one medication with high dose.
Both diuretics and alpha blockers are possible.

Wishing you a good health
Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan

Cardiologist