Suggest medication for high BP

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Thu, 5 Nov 2015 in General Health
Question: yes I take lisinopril 10-12.5 for high blood pressure. my BP gets too low if I take a whole pill every day and 1/2 a pill doesn't drop it low enough. What should I do. I just ate a pickle with salt on it a friend told me salt will raise it xxxxxx
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
please provide more information

Detailed Answer:

I'd like to review your measurements. Can you provide some of them or their average value? If most of the readings are below 140 (systolic) and 90 (diastolic) mmHg then you're OK. It's preferable to keep your blood pressure not lower than 130 (systolic) though because no extra benefit will come out of it and there is some danger (hypotension and perhaps reduced blood flow to the coronary blood vessels), at least a theoretical one.

If your drug contains a diuretic (besides lisinopril I mean, 10mg should be the lisinopril part and 12.5 the diuretic) then stopping one of them may help. I would have kept lisinopril, although any choice should be considered equally effective.

High salt consumption does raise the blood pressure, particularly in patients with hypertension (in some, more than in others). Reducing salt consumption is very important.

Kind Regards!
Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 4 minutes later
I'm 5ft. 6" and weigh 150lbs. My BP is 83/67
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
perhaps you should stop the drug

Detailed Answer:
If this is your average blood pressure reading then you should stop at least one of the two components of this drug. I would suggest taking lisinopril only but you'd better discuss it with your doctor also. Your blood pressure is too low and will most probably cause symptoms of faintness or postural hypotension if you continue to use it like before.

Kind Regards!