• question-icon

Suggest medication for harmful OCD

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Mental Health
Question: Hello
I have been having problems with my thoughts since the birth of my child. 8 years ago. I have been on every ssri one antipsychotic for the symptoms and nothing works. I currently am on anafranil risperadal and klonopin. I have been diagnosed with harm ocd. I have symptoms of shooting stabbing walking around with a gun or knife and harm too my family. I am unable to get rid of these kind of thoughts. I also have images and urges with them If this is anything else what would the treatment be and does this sound like the right diagnosis
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Intrusive harmful thoughts suggest OCD only

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking from HCM

Harmful OCD is type of OCD difficult to treat, but with proper medicines and behaviour therapy most individuals show improvement. You are on Anafranil, Risperidone and Clonazepam and these are good drugs for OCD. What are the doses of these drugs?

Intrusive thoughts of harming others, images etc can be controlled with proper doses of the drugs. Behaviour therapy with thought stopping help to control the intrusive thoughts. Visit a psychologist for details of behaviour therapy. This will help to supplement the drugs and help you in early improvement.

The drugs are usually advised in high doses in order to get good effects. Combination of drugs and behaviour therapy yields best results.

Thanks Take care
Follow up: Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 3 hours later
I take 100mg of anafranil and 6mg of risperadal. I have been taking a month and dont feel any better is this unusual?
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Wait for two more weeks to see effects

Detailed Answer:
Hello again

Thanks for providing details. In usual cases Clomipramine helps to result in improvement in about 4-6 weeks so you should wait for 2 more weeks to see improvement. If symptoms persist then dose of Clomipramine can be increased to 150 mg per day. This would help in symptoms control. The dose of Risperidone is fine and is in higher range.

Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Follow up: Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 1 hour later
there is urges to act on my behavior does that go with harm ocd? It always feels like im a second away from acting on my behavior
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes this comes in harmful OCD

Detailed Answer:
Hello again

Yes urges to act on harmful thoughts comes in harmful OCD and should be controlled with proper medicines and behaviour therapy. Uncontrolled urges might result in problems.

Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 36 hours later
how am i supposed to control the urges i never have done anything but it always feels like i will and its very scary. all the thoughts are out of my control it seems
Brief Answer:
The symptoms will be under control in some days.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again

Please consult a psychologist for psychological management. The urges can be controlled with proper behavioural modifications. Medicines will help to supplement the effects of behaviour therapy. Continue to take your medicines regularly and in coming month you should see good improvement of your symptoms. Just remain relaxed and hopeful. These urges will surely come under control.

Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 30 minutes later
i took alot of different meds for it and didnt see improvement so how do you know that this drug will improve my symptoms. im hoping your right but i have lost a lot of hope cause it has been so long with these symptoms
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
The drug will help to control the symptoms

Detailed Answer:
Hello again

As I have mentioned earlier also, OCD is a disorder difficult to treat but if treatment is taken regularly then most of individuals show improvement. Clofranil is one of commonly used drugs for OCD and in individuals who fail to respond to Fluoxetine the drug result in improvement. So please remain hopeful and optimistic. Your symptoms will reduce definitely.

Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 3 days later
I always have images of animals like alligators snakes that are repetitive and im not sure where they come from its not from tv or in person with anything do u think that is ocd too or something else
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Images are seen in OCD also.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again

Seeing images of abnormal figures, dangerous figures is also part of OCD. OCD is characterised by intrusive ideas, thoughts, impulses, images etc. If you are aware of the unrealness of these images then this is OCD only.

Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist