Suggest medication for gas and constipation apart from MiraLax

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Mon, 27 Nov 2017 in Child Health
Question: my granddaughter has been on marrilax due to holding her poop and gas due to being potty trained. She has pooped , but the marrilax has given her so much gas build up that we stopped the marrilax. She is two, almost three. She is very smart and just refuses to go on the potty to do what she needs to do. It has interfered in her quality of life, will not eat hardly, and she just won,t even pass gas and walks around say thAt it hurts so bad. We have sat her on the toilet and tried everything possible to amuse her, but nothing works. She wants to be held all the time, does not want to play, and it is just not herself. When she is in a deep sleep she will go in her pull-up because she is relaxed enough. What the hell is going on??? Is there anything besides marrilax thT gives her so much pain from gas that she does not let out out there ? And pain relief?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Increase in fiber content of diet is needed

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic. I have gone very carefully through your query. It seems to me that your grand-daughter has constipation. Incidentally, constipation in children has become a very frequently encountered problem these days. The primary reason for the same is lack of adequate play and/or the lack of adequate amounts of fiber containing foods in diet.

You need to give a fiber rich diet. Wheat, corn, and rice XXXXXXX are high in insoluble fiber, which helps prevent constipation. XXXXXXX can be sprinkled into his favorite foods, from hot cereal and pancakes to muffins and cookies. Many popular high-fiber cereals and bars are also packed with XXXXXXX Beans really are the magical fruit. Isabgol (psyllium husk) or senna can also be given as fiber supplements.

Fiber rich food items include:
* Apples, pears, parsnip, berries, raspberries, kumquats, guavas, squash, oranges, passion fuit, avocado, blackberries, pomogranate, currants, persimmons, kiwi fruits, figs, bananas, blueberries, cherries, apricots, strawberries, tangerines, papaya, mangoes, pineapple, plums, litchi, grapes, watermelon
* Broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, lettuce, brussels sprout, carrots, leafy vegetables and spinach, amaranth, artichokes, green peas, collard greens, XXXXXXX sweet potato, okra, fennel, eggplant/brinjal, sweetcorn, beets, turnip, asparagus, onions
* Legumes, beans, lentils, chickpeas, celery, soybean, navy beans, cranberry beans, french beans
* Whole grains, quinoa, brown rice, millets and oats, squash and pumpkin seeds, seasame seeds, dried coconut, almonds,
* Mushrooms
* Flax seeds, chia seeds, corn XXXXXXX

Make sure that she drinks plenty of water. But you also need to ensure that she goes to pass stool at a regular time every day (irrespective of whether she feels an urge to pass). This will demote stool holding habits and would promote regular bowel habits.

Clearing the bowels will relieve her pain. No other pain medication is needed.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 52 minutes later
She is not constipated at this time, the marilax took care of that, My daughter is wiping her butt and there is always some flu streaks. As far as the fiber, yes I totally agree. My granddaughter has to be the most finicky child. There is very little that she will eat, and not much food that she likes. I do not think it is constipation. She was all clean up to two days ago due to the marilax working, but the cramps that it gave also she cries. She is scared to go to the potty, scared to pass gas.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Increasing fiber intake should help.

Detailed Answer:
I understand that she does not appear constipated. But I am quite certain that the mentioned presentation can be improved on increasing the fiber intake. I would insist you to give it a try. Also make sure that she takes plenty of water to drink.

Also mention the age of your grand-daughter. Depending on her age drugs like mebeverine can be given to relieve the cramps.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
She went to see her pediatrician this morning. She said that she is clearly holding her poop. she is getting in touch with a specialist from Bangor Maine. I will contact my daughter and tell her about the mebeverine. Is this harmful to a 2.5 year old ?
Brief Answer:
Not usually given in children

Detailed Answer:
Mebeverine is usually not given in children. However, 50mg/5ml suspension is available. It is a prescription medicine. Please discuss with the child's pediatrician first.