Suggest medication for fever despite giving T 98 drops

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Wed, 13 Jun 2018 in Child Health
Question: My baby is 9months old she is having fever with 100.5 degree and she is having running nose. Given T 98 drops. Please suggest.
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Monitor temperature and observe for other symptoms

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for asking on this platform

I have gone through the query and do understand your concern.
Most common cause of cold with fever in this age is some viral infection.
The symptoms usually improve with symptomatic management within 2-3 days. If fever persists longer or condition worsens rapidly, bacterial infection should be ruled out and antibiotics need to be started. I won't get worried if baby is active, taking feeds well and there is no breathing difficulty.
In present condition I would suggest you to monitor temperature. Give paracetamol(T 98) if there is fever. The dose of paracetamol is 10-15 mg/kg/dose and it can be given three to four times a day depending on the frequency of fever.
You can give antiallergic like cetrizine for cold . The usual dose of cetrizine for this age is 2.5 mg(2.5 ml) once a day.
Observe for other symptoms like breathing difficulty if any.
If you notice that baby is not feeding well, fever is persistent or there is any breathing difficulty please consult your pediatrician immediately.
I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D