Suggest medication for fatty liver

Dr. Sandip Kabra

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: I have grade I fatty liver but the lft results are 1.3 total billrubin, sgpt 21,sgot 24. is it necessary to take any medication ti reduce fatty liver condition.
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
NOT necessary to take.

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your query.

Since your SGPT,SGOT and total billirubin values (Total bilirubin normal value: 0.3 to 1.9 mg/dL) are completely normal then here is no need to take any medications (drugs) at present.

In addition, I would like to say that fatty liver (grade-I) is not an alarming finding. It indicates fatty tissue deposition on the liver (just like in men who have fatty or pendulous abdomen) means is is NOT an abnormal finding.

Therefore I wouldn't be personally worried about this finding.

Generally,fatty liver condition is a kind of obesity. And grade-I fatty liver is completely REVERSIBLE in the initial stages specially, by following below mentioned corrective measures.

1) Regular exercise or brisk walk at least 30 to minutes per day

2) Cessation of alcohol intake (if you are alcoholic)

3) Avoid junk foods and fast foods,

4) Take low fat and high protein diet (Veg- Pulses, soyabean and cheese)

5) You should take more fresh fruits and vegetables.

However, there is no such a time limit on when to have a repeat ultrasound scan but it can be repeated after 3 to months following above corrective measures to check the liver status.

But there is NO issue to take Reheptin (contains vitamin and various anti oxidants) because they are just supplements and not drugs.Usually they do not cause any side effects.

Considering your grade-I fatty liver,they are NOT necessary to take.

Hope this helps and let me know if you want some more clarifications.

Dr XXXXXXX kabra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina